Thursday, January 10, 2013

30 days of Helpful words

This January my desire has been to watch the things that come out of my mouth. 

While I was reading Ephesians 4 and the last part of verse 29 stuck out to me, 
"Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will an encouragement to those who hear them." I was struck by the words HELPFUL and ENCOURAGING. So my goal this month has been to test my words to see if they are helpful and encouraging.

This my friends is my new prayer. 
Seriously, this would be a perfect plan!


Pinned in my Pinterest under Feeling it

2 practical things 
 1st thing) When I share with my husband about my day or my thoughts that I would be careful not to allow my words and attitude to ring with a negative tone. It is easy to be unguarded with my words when it comes to my husband, he is a great listener and my best friend. However my words effect him and my outlook and attitude.

2nd thing) That I would steer my kids positively when correcting them or speaking to them. 

For example: The other day I heard myself saying to my kiddos:  "lets not be so lazy", when my kids had left their things on the floor. 

Instead I can say "lets be faithful with what we have and try not to be lazy". 

 "Set a guard over my mouth O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Ps. 141:3

So this is day 10 of 'Helpful words' in my house. I need the Spirit to guide me and give me grace. Not every day of the 10 days I have succeeded. My goal however is pay attention to the things falling out of my mouth and to begin to guard them.... and trusting this will produce a new pattern in me and my family.

In my West corner,
Becky

Don't forget the giveaway:
A Graphic art 2013 calendar  Sign up HERE


3 comments:

Crooked Feather Studio said...

What an exciting challenge for you. I have 2 boys of my own and I feel like this is a practice I should at least try. It is too easy to say words without thought especially around little ones...a time or two my words have been repeated to me by my oldest and that can be a wake up call of what I really sound like. Good luck with your helpful words!

Meg said...

Wow! I so needed to read this today!! Thank you!

Becca @ The Earthlings Handbook said...

This is a great goal! I know it's something I need to work on all the time, too....

In your second example, you could make more of a change. You changed to putting a positive suggestion first, but it's a vague one, and then you're still labeling the behavior (leaving things on the floor) as a way of BEING rather than DOING--it is harder to change how we are than what we do, you know?

Instead, I have had more success with simply
1. describing what I see,
2. saying what it means,
3. stating the desired action,
like this: "There are toys and papers on the floor. They could get stepped on and broken, or someone could slip on them and get hurt. Please pick up all these things before dinner." Sometimes I don't even get through saying it before my son has realized what needs to happen--in which case that last sentence becomes, "Great, thanks for picking up!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...